Showing posts with label Technique - Backgrounds. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Technique - Backgrounds. Show all posts

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

More Layers of Color to share!

Good Morning!  Today I have more Layers of Colors projects to share with you.  I am really enjoying creating with their stamps this month.  They are just gorgeous.  If you haven't ever seen them, then hop on over and check out the store.  And while you are there, check out the wonderful stencils too. 

The Background
I started with a panel of old book paper.  I stamped the same decorative element repeatedly to create the background pattern.  I used a T-Square to draw light pencil lines as I went along to help me line up the images.

The Frame
Here is another example of how to use a spellbinders die to build a frame.  I started by using a pencil to lightly trace around the die.  These guidelines help me to know where to stamp the rest of the frame.  Then I stamped the decorative image along the top and bottom.  After the ink was dry I layed the die back down and traced the outline again, but this time with my micron pen.  I erased any pencils lines that were visible.  Next you just cut out along the edges of your frame.  I used cuticle scissors along some of the edges.

Both of these decorative images are from the set "Touch of Elegance".

And this lovely bowl of blooms is from the "Vintage Roses" set.


Gift Bag - T-Square Tutorial
The next project is a gift bag that I designed myself.  And I will share the pattern with you below.

I started by creating my little bag out of my DP.  But before folding and adhering all of it I stamped the background pattern.
I stamped over the DP with 2 swirlies, and heat embossed.  Looks way better in real life.  I used one swirly from "Nature Walk" and the other from "Old World Flourish" .  Then I stamped my bird (Royal Birds) and flowers (Merci Bouquet), and cut them out.  I adnered these over my Cuttlebug Label Die.

You can see from this post that so many of the Layers of Color stamp sets go beautifully together!

Here is the template.  I started with a 7" x 12" sheet of heavy DP.  I used a T-Square to lightly draw my pencil lines and keep everthing lined up.  I scored the lines with my Score- Pal and then trimmed where needed.  I used a decorative border punch along the top.  If you are not familiar with a T-Square here is a photo.

You can pick one up at a local office supply store.  Some of the craft stores carry them too.  They are found in the "drafting" department and only cost a couple of dollars.  I use mine all the time to line things up across my projects.

Basically you line the short side along the edge of your paper / card and the longer side provides a perfect perpendicular / horizontal guide for you.
Hope that is clear as mud!

Have a great day!

Saturday, January 16, 2010

FCD - Forgive Me Project #2

I think that I mentioned last week that Pamela gave me the FCD Stamp Set "Forgive Me" to work with this month.   I love it!  And I decided to REALLY get my hands messy this week.

It's been a while since I sat and just made my own background panels.  I made them in several colors today.  I set these panels aside for future use.  I love texture and doing this gives me a break from working with patterned paper and gives my pieces a more distressed look.  Here is a close-up.

I started with watercolor paper I cut into 4.5" x 6" panels (it was sold 9 x 12").  I pulled out some vintage paper from an 1920's music magazine.  It includes some actual music pages and some article pages.  Next I gathered glazes (translucent paint) and crackle paint.  I have a few Golden Glazes I learned about taking a local class, but once I found out I could mix my own, I stopped buying them.  There is an acrylic glazing medium (also made by Golden) you can purchase to mix with inexpensive acrylic paint and this is a much cheaper way to go.  I glued my vintage paper over the watercolor paper then began brushing the glazes on.  The glazes have a longer "open" time, so you can use a paper towel to wipe it off if needed.  Why a glaze?  Because it allows part of what is under it to show through (the vintage paper) and enable you to build a collage.  Then I applied a coordinating color of crackle paint.  I'm very impatient, so I used a blow dryer to speed along the drying processs and this gave me some control of keeping the paper flat.  (the ones I left unattended roled up as the crackle medium dryed).  Then I set the panels aside for future use.  I can layer on more paper, paint, or ink when I begin to design the project.  You may remember me mentioning that I had done this process before but threw the panels in the bottom of a tall box and sprayed with Glimmer Mist (I usually start by brushing on a color first), sprinkles on distress embossing powder, while they were still wet, and then heat embossed.  I added a little crackle paint to some of these as well.  I have had alot of fun using them and thought it was about time to make some more.  To finish off my background for this card I distressed it with some Versa Magic Pumpkin Spice Ink.  I added Fun Flock to the center of the flowers to add more texture.  I stamped the flowers more of the vintage paper, but when I went to color them the print started to run, so I sprayed them with "Work Fixative" (you can get it at a local craft store that sells artist supplies).  Then I was able to color them with my copics. 


Well I hope yo forgive me for such a long post.  So much to tell you though!  Have a great Sunday!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...